Call for entries 2021
1. Application process
The Swiss Performance Art Award 2021 is organized by the Canton St Gall and hosted by Lokremise in St Gall.
Canton St Gall, Departement des Innern, Amt für Kultur
The competition follows a two-stage selection process:
Artists are invited to apply with an online portfolio no later than Thursday, 15/04/2021 (24:00 MEZ).
Out of these applications, the jury will select no more than seven artists (or artist collectives), who will perform a current work on Saturday, 28/08/2021 at the above-mentioned location.
The jury will choose the recipient of the Swiss Performance Art Award based on these performances.
Applications must be submitted online via www.performanceartaward.ch
Files bigger than 3 MB cannot be uploaded.
- Selected and informative documentation of previous artistic work, including relevant Youtube or Vimeo links. (Filename: surnamefirstname_DOCU.pdf)
NEW: To be included in the documentation: 1 project outline of the proposed performance, max. 1 A4 page, including the approximative duration, realization details, and possible space to take place in.
- Short CV (Filename: surnamefirstname_BIO.pdf)
The nominated artists will either perform a current work or a context-specific new performance on Saturday, 28/08/2021 at Lokremise in St Gall.
Based on the project outline, the realization of the performance (in terms of space, materials for example) of the seven finalists will be discussed and elaborated with the organizers of the Swiss Performance Award.
The following spaces are available: Two theater rooms, one with, one without stands (daylight or black box possible), and the outdoor area around the Lockremise.
The visitor numbers, official permits and technical restrictions will be discussed in details between the artistas and the organizers, once a project has been chosen for the final selection.
The artists will receive an (all) inclusive fee of CHF 3’000 each artist or collective. They are responsible for the setup, technical equipment, installation and the takedown of their work as well as its financial viability. The artists should liaise with the organizers and host institutions on all of these issues.
2. Entry requirements
Entry is open to
- Artists who are Swiss citizens
- Artists who have been living in and been registered in Switzerland since 1st January 2020.
Not eligible are
- artists who are currently (this calendar year) enrolled in a BA course [programme] at an art college.
This competition is exclusively aimed at professional artists. For work that is made in collaboration with foreign artists [artists from abroad], the majority of the group members must meet one of the above-mentioned eligibility criteria. Only one application per artist or arts collective will be accepted.
The prize money for the prize of the jury will be CHF 30’000. The performances will be judged by the jury and awarded the Swiss Performance Prize.
In addition there will be a public‘s choice award of CHF 6’500.
The award ceremony will be held after the performance events.
- 15/04/2021: submission deadline (24:00 h MEZ)
- 31st May 2021 (10 am until 12 pm) and 12th June (3 until 6 pm): Fixed dates for visits with the seven finalists at Lokremise.
- 28/08/2021: performance event at Lokremise
- 29/08/2021: Award ceremony
- End of September: the jury’s report will be published on www.performanceartaward.ch
The jury members are:
- Patrick de Rham, Director Theater Arsenic, Lausanne (2020-2022)
- Anne Rochat, artist, Lausanne (2020-2021)
- Romy Rüegger, artist, Zurich (2020-2021)
- Katja Schenker, artist, Zurich (2019-2021)
- Nadja Veronese, curator, Kunstmuseum St. Gallen, (2021)
The decision of the jury is final. Any recourse to the courts is excluded.