Call for entries 2019
1. application process
Swiss Performance Art Award 2019 is hosted by the Aargauer Kuratorium. Venue is the Aargauer Kunsthaus in Aarau.
The competition follows a two-stage selection process:
Artists are invited to apply with an online portfolio until Wednesday, 10/04/2019 (24:00 MEZ). Out of these applications, the jury will select no more than seven artists (or artist collectives), who will then perform a current work on Saturday, 21/09/2019 at above-mentioned location. The jury will decide the recipient of the Swiss Performance Art Award based on these performances.
Applications must be submitted online via www.performanceartaward.ch
Please upload a portfolio and a brief CV saved as PDF files and named accordingly.
Please submit the following until Wednesday 10/04/2019 (24:00 MEZ)
Files bigger than 3 MB cannot be uploaded.
- Selected, informative documentation of previous artistic work, including relevant Youtube or Vimeo links. Please mark the file: Filename_surnamefirstname_DOKU.pdf)
NEW: To be included in the documentation: 1 project outline of the proposed performance, max. 1 A4 page, including approximative duration, realization details, and possible space to take place in.
- Short CV (Filename_BIO.pdf)
The nominated artists will either perform a current work or a context-specific performance on Saturday, 21/09/2019 at the Aargauer Kunsthaus.
Based on the project outline, the realization of the performance (in terms of space, materials for example) of the seven finalists will be discussed and elaborated with the organization of the Swiss Performance Award. Selected by the Kunsthaus Aargau, spaces are available on the basement floor, upper floor as well as the entrance area and the space outside the museum.
The artists will receive an inclusive fee of CHF 3’000 each. They are responsible for the setup, technical equipment, installation and the takedown of their work as well as its financial viability. The artists should liaise with the organisers and host institutions on all of these issues.
2. Entry requirements
Entry is open to
- Artists who are Swiss citizens
- Artists who have been living in and been registered in Switzerland since 1st January 2018.
Not eligible are
- artists who are currently (this calendar year) studying on a BA course in an art college.
This competition is exclusively aimed at professional artists. For work that is made in collaboration with foreign artists, the majority of the groups’ members must meet one of the above-mentioned eligibility criteria. Only one application per artist or arts collective will be accepted.
The prize money for the prize of the jury will be CHF 30’000. The performances will be judged by the jury and awarded the Swiss Performance Prize.
In addition there will be a public‘s choice award of CHF 6’500.
The award ceremony will be held after the performance events.
- 10/04/2019: submission deadline (24:00 h MEZ)
- June: jury preselects candidates
- 19th und 24th June 2019, mornings: Two dates proposed for visits with the seven finalists at Aargauer Kunsthaus in Aarau.
- 21/09/2019: performance event at Aargauer Kunsthaus in Aarau
- 21/09/2019: award ceremony
- End of September: the jury report will be published on www.performanceartaward.ch
The jury members are:
- Yasmin Afschar, Aargauer Kunsthaus (curator) (2019)
- Arthur de Pury (curator), Neuchâtel (2019)
- Yan Duyvendak (artist), Geneva (2017-2019)
- Sophie Jung (artist), Basel / London (2017-2019)
- Katja Schenker (artist), Zurich (2019-2021)
The decision of the jury is final. Any recourse to the courts is excluded.