Call for entries 2018
1. application process
Swiss Performance Art Award 2018 is hosted by the canton of Basel-City. Venues are the Museum Tinguely, the Kaserne Basel and the public space between both institutions. We ask you to consider all of these possible locations in your application.
The competition follows a two-stage selection process:
Artists are invited to apply with an online portfolio until Thursday, 10/05/2018 (24:00 MEZ).
Out of these applications, the jury will select no more than seven artists (or artist collectives), who will then perform a current work on Saturday, 13/10/2018 at above-mentioned locations.
The jury will decide the recipient of the Swiss Performance Art Award based on these performances.
Applications must be submitted online via www.performanceartaward.ch. Please upload a portfolio and a brief CV saved as PDF files and named accordingly.
Please submit the following until Thursday 14/05/2018 (24:00 MEZ)
- Selected, informative documentation of previous artistic work, including relevant Youtube or Vimeo links. (Please mark the file: SurnameFirstname_DOKU.pdf)
- Short CV (Please mark the file: SurnameFirstname_BIO.pdf)
The nominated artists will either perform a current work or a context-specific performance on Saturday, 13/10/2018 at the Museum Tinguely, the Kaserne Basel or the public space between the institutions.
The artists will receive an inclusive fee of CHF 3’000 each. They are responsible for the setup, technical equipment, installation and the takedown of their work as well as its financial viability. The artists should liaise with the organisers and host institutions on all of these issues.
2. Entry requirements
Entry is open to
- Artists who are Swiss citizens
- Artists who have been living in and been registered in Switzerland since 1st January 2017.
Not eligible are
- Artists who are currently (this calendar year) studying on a BA course in an art college.
This competition is exclusively aimed at professional artists. In collaboration with foreign artists, the majority of the groups’ members must meet one of the above-mentioned eligibility criteria. Only one application per artist or arts collective will be accepted.
The prize money for the prize of the jury will be CHF 30’000. The performances will be judged by the jury and awarded the Swiss Performance Prize.
In addition there will be a public‘s choice award of CHF 6’500.
The award ceremony will be held after the performance events.
- 10/05/2018: submission deadline (24:00 h MEZ)
- End of June: jury preselects candidates
- End of June/beginning of July: site visit with selected performers at specified locations
- 13/10/2018: Performance event at Museum Tinguely, Kaserne Basel and the public space between both institutions
- 13/10/2018: award ceremony
- 18/10/2018: the jury report is published on www.performanceartaward.ch
The jury members are:
- Yan Duyvendak (artist), Geneva (2017-2019)
- Sophie Jung (artist), Basel / London (2017-2019)
- Dorothea Rust (artist), Zürich
- Laurence Wagner (artistic director Théâtre de l’Usine, art historian), Geneva
- Roland Wetzel (director Museum Tinguely), Basel and Sandro Lunin (artistic director Kaserne), Basel share a split vote.
The decision of the jury is final. Any recourse to the courts is excluded.